Monday, 14 December 2015

How to Become a Mini-Bus Driver

Having recently had one of our staff look to go through their mini bus test we have realised that it is particularly difficult to find all the relevant information with regard to the process. Therefore, I deemed it quite a good idea to put all the information in one place- hopefully this helps out.

Why get the licence?

First off, why would you want a  Licence? I hear a lot of misinformed conversation about the need to acquire a licence (I do also hear people who are correct on some occasions). As a general rule; you will only require the D1 (minibus) entitlement on your licence if you wish to drive for Hire and Reward. In any other circumstances (such as driving on behalf of a sports club) there may be a way round it. Full information is available at:

If you wish to get the D1 entitlement then it opens up doors with regards to work. You could start your own taxi business or go to work as a minibus driver- this is a particularly useful job if you're looking for well-paid part-time work.

The Process:

First step here is to send off (or print off) the D2/D4 application forms to get provisional entitlement on your licence. The D4 form is a medical that will be filled out by a professionally competent person- most likely to be your GP at a cost of around £60-£100.

The D4 (Medical form) is available online at this link:

Hint: There is no limit to the amount of provisional entitlements you can apply for, so to save money and time it may be worth ticking the boxes to give yourself other driving categories.  

When you have sent off these forms to the DVLA they will analyse your suitability to drive vocationally and hopefully return your licence with provisional entitlement.

Theory Test:

Unfortunately, to pass your provisional entitlement you will require a theory test, split into two sections. The Hazard Perception (£11) and the Multiple-Choice (£26) are the first two tests, subject to passing these you can then take your practical exam.

These can be booked at:

Drivers will also need to pass the CPC Case Study exam before they can drive vocationally. This costs £23 but can be left until after you have passed your practical exam.


Training will almost definitely be required to pass the D1 driving test. There is no specified time scale on training and it is very much down to the individual candidate. Some centres will offer a full week training while others will offer courses that take place over 2-3 days.

Practical Test:
Training should ultimately conclude in your D1 practical test. This will involve a reversing procedure and a practical test run- much like a car test.  Upon completion of the test and if you have passed then the examiner will send off your licence to the DVLA so they can register the new entitlement.

If you have anymore questions then please get in touch on 01905 571223 or email

No comments:

Post a Comment